NekicNet

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My Madagascar Palm

In the early or mid-1980's, I bought a small madagascar palm at Sea World in Aurora,OH. For some reason I recall it cost $4. It was one of the first plants I ever owned. It followed me to my first apartment and onwards to my first home...growing quite large in the process. In fact, it grew from about 4 inches to over 6 feet tall and since it was covered in spikes from top to bottom, I often tied it to furniture to prevent accidental topples. Of course, re-potting a 6 foot tall spike-covered plant was a considerable challenge, so last summer I decided to donate it to the Cleveland Botanical Gardens and the Madagascar-themed portion of their glass house. They sent a van and took it away to a new home. A few weeks ago I went to see if I could find it in the glass house. It was a cinch to find and it looked fantastic.

Here's a photo timeline of its growth:


This is a picture of my bedroom from around 1987. Look, there it is!



This is a picture of the first christmas in my first apartment; 1995





This is June 2007; the day CBG came to pick it up.


















Into the van it goes...it's just a plant...it's just a plant. *sniff*



























June 2008, in its new home...replanted and FULL of new leaves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home